GMC 2 1/2 Ton Cargo Truck ~ Normandy 1944
The GMC 6x6 was built for the US Army as part of a standardization program begun in 1939, which allowed for only two of each type of vehicle to be considered, and emphasized commonality of parts and accessories wherever possible. Known as 'Jimmies', the vehicles were supplied to Britain under the Lend Lease scheme before America's entry into World War II, and the trucks served with distinction in all theatres, including in the Soviet Union, which also received significant numbers through the ports of Murmansk and Archangel. The 'Jimmy' made an enormous contribution to the Allied victory after the D-Day landings by ensuring a reliable method of transport for supplies to units at the front, all of which had to be trucked across France until ports nearer Germany could be captured and rehabilitated. By war's end, over 800,000 2-1/2 ton trucks were produced by US industry (with over 560,000 produced by GMC alone), many of which saw service again in the Korean Conflict.
Forces of Valor D-Day Commemorative Series
|Series: Forces of Valor - D-Day Commemorative Series